Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Nightgown


I was so inspired by my friend Sara's blog and picture of her little girl wearing her first nightgown, that I felt compelled to blog on 'our first nightgown,' too.

Maybe the nightgown is a rite of passage, the first blush of femininity for a pre-schooler...the end of nights spent looking like an oompa-loompa. I don't know why, but the first time your little girl wears her nightgown is somehow magical.

I picked up a pink number for Jill when she was about two. It had 3 cats on it, some lace and pleats. She fell in love. I have a great picture of her wearing it for the first time and doing a seat drop onto our bed...sheer glee [I'll try to find it to post].

My mom and I just packed Nightie #1 away with the 18 month clothes. Jill tried to highjack it in the process...it used to clear the floor by only a few inches...2 weeks ago, it was a mini-dress at best.

The first nightie has been followed by The Monkey Nighty, The Strawberry Nightie and the Tinkerbell Nightie, which she received for her birthday this year. She wore it to blow out her candles.

2 comments:

Jen said...

OMG, as the mom to a boy that is something that never occurred to me as a neat moment I won't have. Thanks for your post because it is a sweet thought and as a girl, I totally get what this all means.

jhw

Marti & Steve said...

I'm happy to report that I found the 'seat drop' picture and added it to the post. This shot was a true miracle shot and definiately worth a thousand words!